Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent

I'm so excited that December 1st is here!  I bought an Advent gingerbread house that I put slips of paper in - or what Hunter calls "messages" for each day leading up to Christmas.  Each slip has a verse on it, telling part of the story of Jesus' birth as well as an activity for us to do.  Hunter was really excited to take the first message out of the Advent house today...


 ...but when I explained about the verse part, he became very upset, and started yelling, "I don't want to read the Bible!"  Every parent's dream, right?  I tried to calmly explain that we were reading one verse about Jesus' birth because Christmas is coming up, but he wouldn't hear it.  So we went on with our activity preparation while he yelled in the corner.

Tonight's verse was Matthew 1:18  "This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit."

After we read and quickly talked over our verse, we were ready for our activity of the night, reading Christmas books!  I laid all of the Christmas books out on the table, so everyone could choose...

Hunter quickly calmed down during the Bible verse reading, and then chose the first book, Merry Christmas Moonbeam Bear...

Then I chose Follow the Star, which was about a little camel who carried the gifts that the magi brought to Jesus...
It was a little long, so Hunter lost interest, but was excited for Charlotte's book, Reindeer Run, which James took a picture of, but it is terrible of me, so I'm choosing not to post it here.  It's my blog, so that's my prerogative.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

No comments: