Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 22 - Christmas Lights

Tonight's activity was to go look at Christmas lights.  All of the observations Hunter made tonight in the car were cracking me up.  Of course now, I've forgotten most of them, but I'll try to include some if I can remember.

Here are the kids ready to go...

This was right after we left the house.  I guess the first thing Charlotte does once I shut her car door is pull that bow out of her hair...

We went to this neighborhood in Richardson that had been recommended on the internet.  James and I both thought we had been there before, but we had a little trouble finding it.  Hunter surprised me with how impressed and excited he was to see even a couple of houses lit up on a street.  (We drove for quite a while before we found our destination.)  Once we finally got there, I'd roll my window down every once in a while to take a picture.  When he saw me, Hunter started asking to roll his down because he "needed some fresh air".  After that, he rode most of the way with his window halfway down.  Here he is looking at the houses on the "star" street... 

There was one street that was 12 days of a redneck Christmas, and they even had a song playing that went with each house if you tuned into a specific station on the radio.  Hunter loved this house the best...
He spotted it before any of us did and shouted, "Look at that big truck!  It's a  monster truck!"  I have no idea where he got that from.  I don't recall having any conversations about monster trucks.  Shocking, I know...both that I don't remember and that I have no desire to talk about monster trucks. 

There was also a train street.  I think this one was probably my favorite theme.  There were lots of creative trains...

 There was a candy cane train beside this sign, but my picture of it was really blurry.


The M&M street was the last one we went down.  Hunter could not grasp the concept.  We kept trying to explain that they were like the M&M's you eat.  After much explanation from us, he said, "Can we eat one?"
We gave up after that.

I think I'll research a little better before we go looking at lights next year.  There were a couple of cool streets, but for the most part I was underwhelmed.  I remember as a child going to neighborhoods and waiting in long lines of cars because the houses were so well done.  Maybe things just seem more magnificent when you're a kid, though.  Hunter did say, "That's cool!" after looking at one of those houses that have blinking lights that go with the music on a specific radio station.  When he first saw the lights flashing, he said, "Those lights are spinning!"  It was such a fun night!

Our verses tonight were Matthew 2:11 "On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh."

No comments: