Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So Grown Up

Hunter is such a toddler these days. Every day I'm more and more amazed at how quickly he's growing up. He still babbles like a maniac, but he's using a lot more intentional speech also (granted a lot of what he says sound pretty much the same, but I'm smart enough to use context clues and figure it out...most of the time at least).

Since Hunter is getting older, we've been working on only having the paci during sleep times and car times. So of course during all other times, he's CONSTANTLY coming up to us saying "paci?", which really sounds closer to "babuh", but like I said, we're good at decoding. I've tried to get creative with distractions, so at least when Hunter gets the shakes from the paci withdrawal, he's preoccupied. Hawaiian Falls works well, but I can only take so much sun. Y'all have seen my pasty white skin, right? And my child's even pastier, whiter skin? We have to limit the sun intake here in the Brooks family.

So here's a list of some new things little H got to experience this week to avoid a paci takeover...

1. The realization that the Bumbo seat only lasts so long. Toddlers beware: You're legs may (i.e., will) get caught in the tiny little holes!


I usually just put Hunter's afternoon snack on our coffee table and he stands up to eat it, but I'm SO over scrubbing little bits of food off every night, so I decided to pull out the ole Bumbo for snacks. I also let Hunter watch Barney or Elmo or Veggie Tales during snack time. The couple of times I've tried the tv in Hunter's life, he hasn't really been interested, but he seems to LOVE Barney now (much to James's disgust).

Yes, my kid is totally in a tv trance here. Don't judge me. That Barney can teach some pretty good concepts with those catchy tunes.

2. Fun with the lego table. Okay, so this is by no means a new activity, but the way Hunter gently removed each piece off of the table and carefully placed them on the floor is totally out of character, so I'll call that new.


See how gentle he's being in that first picture...and the small space that all of the pieces are confined to in the second?

At least until this moment...

For a split second I had a dream of no more scratches on my floors. Then the throwing commenced...

Notice the green and white pieces thrown against the back wall. (And yes, that is a new rug - early birthday present from my honey.)

3. And finally the new thing that should win me parent of the year (drumroll please)... Hunter had his first happy meal this week. Dr. Sears would be so disappointed in me.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I love you, you love me, we're a happy family!

Ha, ha,

Did he like his happy meal? Super cute pics of Hunter.

Kim said...

Too bad we don't live closer. Gideon would LOVE to come over and help Hunter scratch your floors...and of course, Hunter could come over here and return the favor!

The Ross Family said...

Cute pics, and I like your new rug. I hope you have a terrific Birthday today!!!

Let's get together soon so these paci loving kids can play.

Rikki said...

happy bday! mmm...happy meal sounds good. charlie's not into barney, but still has an elmo fettish, and LOVES the "hip hip hooray" song on "super why." we have that activity table, and all C does is destroy it too. he hasn't tried the actual legos...he just pushes that awful train button on the other side over and over and over...

Anonymous said...

It's only a matter of time before Hunter realizes that outlet covers make great impromptu pacis.