Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Advent Days 3 & 4 - Christmas Cards and Snow Dough

Yesterday was crazy.  The kids made Christmas cards for a couple of their friends and we delivered them to mailboxes (if they were in the neighborhood) or the post office.  I didn't take any pictures because I was just trying to make it through the day without going into a hormonal rage or collapsing from pregnancy discomfort and exhaustion.  It made me wonder how I would make it through the next 23 days.  But today was better (even with my fever and cold/flu symptoms...that should tell you how emotionally crazy I was yesterday.  Rhinovirus > Hormones.  In a good way.). 
 
The kids were super excited to make snow playdough, our activity for today, but it sure didn't turn out like I thought it would!  First, we ran out of salt, until I found this in the back of the pantry...
It was nearly full, y'all.  I put it on the most course setting and ground our salt until the bottle was empty.  Sweet Hunter kept taking over to give my arms a break, because it seriously burns after about 129 turns of that tiny black grinder.  We were about 1/8 of a cup short (it called for 1/2 cup), so I don't know if that was the problem or not, but our snow dough was extremely sticky when we were done making it.  It was ALL over my hands...and the kids, too, because there was no way they were going to let me have all the fun kneading that dough!  So we rinsed them off and added some (a lot) more cornstarch, which made it completely flour-y (no idea what the real adjective is for this...I'm pregnant, so give my brain a break and don't judge).  Actually, it was much more like the consistency of snow than playdough, so that was good.  Especially since we aren't getting any real snow outside in our beautiful 75 degree weather. 
 
The kids didn't mind the consistency mess up, though.  They LOVED it...
 

We added peppermint extract and sprinkles to give our senses a little Christmas bonus, but I couldn't get a good picture of the sparkle...

It really was sparkly, though!

Hunter made a "d"...
 
D is for dirty.  And that's what my kitchen was after we were done.  Cornstarchy snow playdough EVERYWHERE.  Worth every sweep of the broom, though.  We had a ton of fun.
 
Our verses over the past 2 nights were Matthew 1:21-23...
 
"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.  All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:  'The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel' (which means “God with us”)."
 
Charlotte had picked out the ornament for our Jesus tree earlier today and she just so happened to pick "Emmanuel".  I love how that worked out...they got a double lesson in Jesus' name Emmanuel, which is one of my favorites.  God with us.  What God comes down from heaven...a perfect place...to live here with his people in a world full of hate and sin.  Mine does.  I can't wait for his birthday.

No comments: