Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent Day 2 - Jesus Ornaments

I was so excited when I found this idea on pinterest...25 homemade ornaments each with a different name of Jesus.  Then, you add one ornament per day until Christmas day and talk about what that name means.
 
We made ALL 25 tonight.  And it was messy!  To the kids' credit, I thought they would make one each and give up, but they helped me until all 25 were made.  I think they had a lot of fun! 



Since we made ours a day late, the kids each got to pick an ornament to put on the tree tonight...

I originally was going to just add them to our family tree, but then James reminded me we had a small tree from when we lived in our apartment many years ago.  We hadn't used the tree in 7 years, so when we pulled it out, a section of the lights were out.  After about 30 minutes of trying to find the broken bulb I gave up and decided just to not plug it in.  It looks pretty pitiful right now, but once we get a tree skirt and topper and add all of those ornaments, I think it'll look much better:)...

Because it looked so pitiful, I had to take a picture of our real tree because I love it so much...

Hunter's ornament of the night was Prince of Peace...

And Charlotte chose Lamb of God...
 
We may not be the best artists, but I am really excited about our Jesus ornaments...


 
Our verses tonight were Matthew 1:19-20...
 
"Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.  But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."'
 
Those were difficult verses to explain to Hunter, so I did it as quickly and briefly as possible.  We've never talked about divorce before and as a 5 year old, he doesn't yet know how a woman becomes pregnant.  I wasn't prepared to have that conversation tonight, so I treaded lightly, then quickly moved on to a discussion about what Prince of Peace and Lamb of God mean.
 
Oh how I am so thankful that he is my Prince of Peace and my Lamb of God.  He is the only one who can bring true peace and the only one who was a sacficial Lamb for all of us wretched sinners.  How thankful I am for that.

No comments: