Wednesday, April 9, 2008

If you think breastfeeding is oogy, don't read this post.

Yes, I will be discussing my boobs here. Consider that your warning. Read on at your own risk.

Those of you that know me well, know the concerns that I had with breastfeeding before Hunter was born. Okay, okay, so those of you that had a conversation with me lasting longer than 2 minutes anytime during my pregnancy know the concerns that I had with breastfeeding. Who am I kidding?
Anyway, I was terrified and grossed out and had no desire to participate in this oogy breastfeeding business. But I was going to try it for two reasons:

1. it's cheap.
2. what? i'll lose weight in a manner that doesn't involve sweating? Sign me up!

So I did it, and although it was really awkward at first, it didn't take long for things to just work out. I was lucky. Hunter didn't struggle or refuse or have any problems. I thought since I was going back to work that I would dry up or end up stopping way before he turned one. Somehow, though, we made it all the way to today.
After Hunter's birthday I started weaning him down, but just couldn't drop that last nighttime feed. Every night, I'd bring the boppy in the living room to feed him and he would get so excited just seeing that little pillow. So I kept putting it off, but it ends here. Tonight we had church, and I gave the nursery a bottle of milk and just put him down to bed when we got home. I'm not really feeling sad like I thought I would, and something tells me this isn't really going to affect Hunter one way or the other. If that kid gets thrown into fits of hysteria just by mommy or daddy turning around in the car and saying "ooh ooh ooh" surely this isn't going to phase him.

6 comments:

mica said...

Ah, nice post! I find myself in much the same situation you were, obsessed, fixated about the breastfeeding question, and no little bit worried into the mix, but so many reassurances everywhere, including your own, are cooling me off a little bit... :) It seems a natural and good thing to do, for you and your child, and so here's hoping it is as naturally done as all that... Any tricks of the trade?

Rikki said...

carole, i just want to say congrats and good job for lasting the whole first year! i only made it a short time, as you know, and i had a hard time with that. so i'm proud of you for sticking it out! and i'm sure hunter will be fine no matter when his last nursing session was. :)

Kim said...

I know what you mean about disappointing the kid. I have been half heartedly attempting to wean Gideon and thus far he's not been especially, um, cooperative. We technically have a half month before we reach the year mark, but he's still nursing four times a day. Did I just admit that on the internet? Crap. Oh well. My kid loves to nurse and I have very little spine when he loves something so beneficial (in opposition to the other things he loves....light sockets, electric cords, the toilet bowl brush, I'll stop now). Congratulations on the weaning!

Heather Anderson said...

I am impressed with you! I only lasted 6 months because I just couldn't pump enough at work. My chunky baby eating 8 oz every 3 hours wore me out. That is awesome, you are such a good mommy!

The Rogers Triplets said...

Yeah, I still consider myself a big weenie for only lasting 6 weeks. To be fair, there was NO WAY I could feed three babies... the whole pumping thing was just too much for me. And I have big fat babies because they are on the high dollar high calorie formula...so I will not complain.

Monica said...

It's funny how sometimes the babies don't really care too much about being weaned and the mom's really do! I was worried about the weaning process when we first started breasfeeding since I heard it was hard on the baby. Then to my dissapointment, Judah decided at 7 months he had enough. And I was the one left upset!