Wednesday, March 12, 2008

times, they are a-changin'


During the months and months that I was obsessing about Hunter's lack of movement, everyone (and I mean everyone) kept telling me how thankful I should be because once he started moving, my house would be turned upside down. Well, I swore to myself that when that day finally came, I would rejoice in it and I would not get frustrated. That day is here y'all, and I'm proud to say I'm not frustrated at all, but LOVING IT!
Hunter is crawling all over the house - I think it's a relief to him that he can finally get where he wants on his own. So yesterday morning while I was getting ready for work, Hunter crawled into the bathroom with me (like every morning now - yay!) and started throwing his paci, then crawling over and picking it up. Throw, crawl, pick up, throw, crawl pick up. This kept him amused for quite a while (another plus of him crawling - I can actually fix my hair before work. Does anyone even remember what my fixed hair looks like? I didn't think so.)
Throwing things and then fetching them is his favorite game now. He's been throwing toys and pacifiers and whatever else he can get his little hands on for a long time now, but since he can now move around and retrieve whatever he threw, it adds an entirely new dimension to the game.
So back to yesterday. First he threw his paci in the shower, and then got mad that he couldn't make it over the step to get inside to pick it up. So I got it, rinsed it and gave it back. Then he threw it in the toilet. I didn't notice this until I saw him kneeling at the toilet peeking in. (This, I might add, is Hunter's favorite place to pull up. That kid loves the toilet. This could be good. Maybe we should start potty training next week...hmmmm.) So, obviously that paci went in the garbage. I got another paci for him, and within 1 minute, it too ended up in the trash can, and it was not my hands that put it there. So we were down to 1 paci for the day, and I didn't panic or get frustrated or anything. All I could do was smile. My heart was so happy. Then I realized what a blessing God has given me in all of this waiting. Although I felt like Hunter was NEVER GOING TO CRAWL DANGIT, he has! And I have no frustration - zero y'all - with him tearing my house apart, which if you know me at all, you see what kind of miracle this is. I live by order. This is the girl who alphabetizes everything and hangs her clothes based on style in the closet (evenly rotating through them of course). Go ahead laugh.
When Hunter throws his paci in the toilet or shower or trash can or when he crawls over and pulls on my pant leg when I'm trying to get dinner ready or when he crawls into the living room when I really need to be at the computer working on my lecture, I love it. I'm so thankful, and so is Hunter. Can't you see the excitement!

3 comments:

Trina said...

I am a horrible Nana...I haven't been over to see this miracle. Can I drop by tonight? Do y'all watch the apprentice?????

Mom

Katie said...

Aww, Carole that is such a sweet post! That is too funny about Hunter throwing his paci in the toilet and then throwing the other one in the trash!

Crazy May Days said...

Way to go Hunter!!! Carole, he is adorable...and I am not just saying that because you are my friend...he is just SO CUTE!