Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ode to My Hair

"Oh beloved hair!
What have I done to you!
I never gave you a chance to hang free and blow in the wind."

Okay, so my poetry sucks. I'll just type it. Many of you know I was pondering getting a perm for a while. Seriously, I was going to get a permanent at the beauty shop. After seeing the horror on everyones' faces when I asked their opinion, I opted for just cutting it. Boy am I sorry now.

Let me back up and explain the trial that is fixing my hair every day (okay, okay the trial that it is the one time I fix my hair a month). I have the thickest hair ever. On top of that, different layers of my hair are different textures and range from completely straight to really curly. So, it takes about an hour if I want to fix my hair to actually look good - about 15 minutes to dry it completely (which is why it is rarely completely dry) and a good 45 minutes to straighten the 5 different sections that I have to separate it into. And after it's all done, they still don't all look straight.

After having Hunter, it just isn't a realistic option for me to spend an hour on my hair anymore. So I go to Cyndi today and tell her to cut it in layers and make the longest layer right above my shoulders. I know, I know. Not the best description ever, so we really can't blame her, but at least that will give you some sort of mental picture of the mess that's on my head.

For those of you who knew me in high school, this haircut ties for worst hair cut ever in the history of ever with the Carol Brady haircut that I received the last week of our senior year. Yes. It's that bad. The front is actually okay enough that you can stand to look at me without laughing. I can't even begin to describe the back though. Just imagine a million different layers that are made up of wavy/curly nastiness. Good.

Here is my ponytail that I'll be sending to Locks of Love.


I know it looks like that's a rodent sitting on my kitchen counter. If you're thinking, "Carole, that doesn't look like it's thick enough to be your hair." It's because that's only the top 3/4 of my hair. The bottom layer is longest, so we didnt' include it in the ponytail because we couldn't cut that much off of that layer.

I'm not attaching a picture of the haircut because: 1. no one is here to take it (James will probably cry for the first time since he was 13 when he sees me this evening) and 2. I'm too embarrassed to post a picture of me like that for all of you to see. If I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, I would seriously consider becoming a recluse. At least Hunter still loves me (and I'm sure James will too even though it will probably be hard for him to ever walk behind me again . . . at least for the next 3 months or so).

Hunter says, "I love you mom! I don't care if your hair sucks!"

Now I'm going to make my sign to wear to work tomorrow. It will say, "I know my haircut is bad. Please don't comment on it." I'm nervous just thinking about going in public tomorrow. Sad, sad me.

8 comments:

amy said...

There is no way for me to assess if it is truly as bad as the Carol Brady incident without a picture....go stand in the mirror and take a picture of yourself. RIGHT NOW!! I'm demanding it.

I'm sure you still look great. I know someone is going to love their new wig courtesy of you!!

Mrs. Everything said...

I bet it's not that bad!!!

Just take some prenatal vitamins and it will grow out in no time.

Katie said...

I liked that haircut you got in high school, and it did not look like Carol Brady. I agree with Amy, you should go take a picture right now! I'm sure it's cute and I can't wait to see it!

Kim said...

Oh, I love it! Who hasn't had a haircut that they hate? The last one I had that I really hated I grew to like in just a few days, so hopefully the same will happen for you! :)

Molly said...

You cannot write that post without a picture! Although, it may be brilliance on your part since I am SURE is looks way better than you think it does and we are all imagining something terrible from your description so when we see you we are all sure to say it is way better than you think.
AND, you have great hair, so I am sure it looks better than you think, without even seeing it.
Keep us posted in the James crying thing. I will surely punch him if he does.
Do I win longest comment ever?

Kim said...

Totally unfair post! We need pictures, Carole. NEED.

If you don't take a picture and post it before Sunday, I'm going to count on Molly taking one at church and posting it on her site so that we can all link over there and assess just how bad this is.

If it's as bad as you claim (and it's probably not), perhaps someone out here can offer hope in terms of correction cut possibilities. See? We could help you. We are here to help. To encourage. To soothe. Let us do our job, Mrs. Brooks!!

Trina said...

I saw you! It looks great! Thanks for the birthday dinner!

Mom

Carrie said...

I guess I know what I'll be getting you for your birthday... a hat! Just kidding, I'm sure it is not that bad!