Friday, July 13, 2007

The Casting

So Hunter had his casting for his DOC band this past Thursday. I think most of you know, but just in case you don't, here's a quick explanation - Hunter has a lot of height to his head (it slopes upward like his forehead never ends) and a flat back of the head (REALLY flat) because of the shape of my pelvis. Yes, my poor baby has a freaky looking head because my pelvis is shaped funny. As Molly says, this is just a glimpse of all of the future guilt that I will be feeling while attempting this whole parenting thing. I digress. Anyway, the fitting for this is pretty traumatic. Twelve minutes of getting a cast put on Hunter's head so the DOC band can be custom fit for him. I took lots of pictures, so here goes. . .


Here's us in the waiting room. We were hoping to get a happy before picture, but it's as though Hunter knows something's up as you can tell by the suspicious look he's giving James.

This is the first step to getting fitted. They put this cloth thing over his entire face. He can still see through it and breathe through it (they cut out a whole for the mouth). He's doing pretty good so far.

Here she's putting the plaster on. I've never had a cast before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. She put it on piece by piece and shaped it to his head. This is after she put the first piece on. We were so proud of him for remaining so calm!


After that picture was taken, Hunter started screaming for the remainder of the time, which was about 10 more minutes. So being the good mommy that I am, I stopped the picture taking and attemped (unsuccessfully) to calm my traumatized child. It was worse than the first time he got shots. My heart was so sad for him:(


Here we are after. By the way, I have to say I love my husband for not getting the new haircut in the picture. Way to go James!


They let us give him a bath right after since he had plaster all over (as you can see). Isn't he so sweet? He just started grabbing his feet the past week. It's so cute! Definitely one of my favorite pics of him:).

We get the DOC band on July 23, and after that you'll see lots of posts with pictures of him wearing it since he has to have it on 23 hours a day!

6 comments:

Katie said...

Ahhh, he is so cute!!! James how could you not get the new haircut in the picture? What is wrong with you??? I'm glad Hunter survived, I'm sure he wasn't too traumatized.

Trina said...

AHHH! I love all the pictures, EXPECT, the one where his eyes are covered. No wondered he screamed. I would too. My poor baby. But, he is adorable in the after picture...I want a copy. AND, I have seen the hair...it is CUTE!!!!!

Love,
Mom

PS...Is anyone else missing Court's post on her blog? When is she coming back from Slovakia?

The Ross Family said...

Poor little guy. I can only imagine how scary that was for him. He looks so darn adorable in the bath tub grabbing his toes. I love it!
P.S. Please post a pic of your hair. I really want to get mine cut, but I don't know what to do with it.

Molly said...

i love that picture of him in the sink. so handsome!

Kim said...

Foot grabbing baby is ADORABLE!!

Molly said...

Oh, and I love that onsie with a tie on it. How cute! Where did you ever find that??? :)