Monday, July 23, 2007

Having a baby changes everything.

Johnson & Johnson's is speaking serious truth here. I really can't believe how my outlook on everything has changed since having Hunter. Today at work I had to eval a 10 week old in a coma. Prior to having Hunter, this really wouldn't have phased me. I know that seems cold, but you can't really do my job if you are going to fall apart with every sob story that walks through the door, because the truth is that each one of them is a tragedy (some just a little bigger than others). But today just looking at this sweet boy with his trach and g-tube and contractures made my chin start quivering and my eyes tear up. I felt like I should be locked up for the torture I was about to put him through. He reminded me so much of Hunter, and I couldn't bear the thought of my sweet boy enduring that.


I feel blessed beyond . . . there's not even an adequate word to put here. Every night I lay in bed and realize that I love my boys more than the day before, which I hadn't thought possible. I am in AWE OF YOU LORD, because I so don't deserve all that I have. What an incredible, indescribable thing to be able to love James and Hunter the way I do. I didn't know these feelings existed before Hunter - he makes me love my husband and my God more each day. I seriously reflect on what a sinner I am and how it is not fair that God has provided me with so much. One of my favorite songs states, "You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same. You are amazing God." And that is so inspirational to me. What an excellent reminder of God's love and sovereignty. Although James and I didn't feel like we were ready for Hunter yet, God knew better as always. Words do not begin to scratch the surface in explaining how unconditionally I love Hunter. How I would do anything to protect him and raise him up to be a happy and joyful and godly man one day.



Thanks for reading. I know it was a change of pace for me. Who couldn't love these guys . . .





And because I love y'all so much, I'm posting a picture with my new haircut even though I look totally fat and have some serious visible cellulite in my arms here.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You are not fat and I am going to have to slap you if you EVER say that again. Hunter looks soo cute in that hat. Where are the pics of his docband?

Trina said...

That is such a sad story of that poor baby. Yes, our family should thank God every day for the blessings He has given us. We are truly blessed. Thank you for posting that Carole, it showed me how I should not be wallowing in my sorrows. Give Hunter a kiss from his Nana!

Love you,
Mom

The Vickerys said...

Wow- what a humbling experience! I can totally relate with having Ellie now and how undeserving I am to be allowed to raise this sweet angel! The Lord is SO good to us!

By the way, I think your haircut looks great and you totally do not look fat! We will have to get Hunter and Ellie together soon!

The Ross Family said...

Your story touched me and I completely relate to you when it comes to loving my boys. God is so good and amazing!!!
By the way, you do not look fat and I love your hair. It looks good on you.

Molly said...

Great post Carole!

Kim said...

I can't believe you don't like that haircut. I think it looks great!!