Friday, June 12, 2009

Your Annual Speech Pathology Lesson

I have no camera y'all. It's been a sad, sad couple of weeks at my house without any picture taking ability. My camera broke 2 weeks ago at my baby shower, so I have NO pictures from it. (Actually, my sweet friend, E, sent me a picture of the Kappas that were there, but I think she'd agree that it's pretty much horrible of all of us, so I'm not going to count it as existing. That's a rule I allow myself when I look about 15 pounds heavier in a picture than in real life).

Anyway. Sad. That's me. No pictures from my shower. And no pictures of life over the past two weeks because the repair people are SO slow. They better get on it or they will have one crazy pregnant woman up in their store. I need a camera for the birth of my child, which in case y'all haven't been paying attention, is due to come 7 weeks from today.

So since I don't have any cute pictures of my kid to share, here's what's been on my mind lately. How come when you get pregnant your brain turns into such a big pile of mush? I've been having word finding problems lately, which I had with Hunter's pregnancy too. (In the speech pathology world, we call this Aphasia.) The difference is, this time I've been using a lot of paraphasias, which are word substitutions that can be real words or non-words. Here are my paraphasias for today...

As I'm walking into work this morning I notice that there is a really loud helicopter above flying really close to the hospital. (The fact that I didn't realize that it was Care Flight immediately, is a prime example of the brain turning to mush phenomenon). I say to myself - out loud - "why is that elevator flying so low?"

Then tonight James and I were talking about when girls gain weight and are still wearing their old clothes resulting in a muffin top...only I called it a mushroom top. And y'all, I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE my mistake until my husband started laughing his butt off at me. In the speech world, this would be referred to as poor awareness or insight or recognition of errors.

Let's hope my camera is fixed soon or this is the kind of stuff y'all get to look forward to reading:)

4 comments:

The Magsigs said...

Sadly enough, I don't feel like I've ever quite recovered my brain power. I don't know what my excuse will be when I'm not pregnant anymore. Maybe we just push some of our brain cells out during the birth with the baby.

Sorry about your camera!

Katie said...

That was too funny Carole! I haven't been preganant for a very long time now and I still feel like my brain is a big pile of mush sometimes. Is that a bad thing?

Brandie said...

Sadly, I thought this was just mommy brain (pregnant or not). I do this ALL THE TIME. Am I okay? You're starting to freak me out now.

The Hunter Family said...

Love, Love, Love it. ITA! Except, with Victoria's pregnancy, I nvever really got it back. I'll be teachinga lesson at school and say the wrong word. Not helpful at all. Good Luck!