Saturday, December 17, 2011

Advent - Days 16 and 17

Last night we went to Highland Park to look at Christmas lights.  I was super excited because I had read great things about it online, so we loaded the sippy cups with hot chocolate and piled in the car.  Sweet Vanesa came along because she babysat the kids afterward so James and I could go on a date...


Since I kept cutting Char's face out of the picture, I turned to get a good one of just her...
Sweet, happy, chocolate-all-over-her-face-and-hair girl.

The traffic was terrible, so after a long drive out to HP, we were all pretty disappointed.  I'd say Hunter summed it up pretty well with, "This isn't very exciting."  I hear ya buddy.

The houses were gorgeous, but not that many had lights put up, and the ones that were only had white lights, which I actually prefer, but to a kid you can definitely understand how that's "not very exciting". 

Then tonight we went to my sister's cookie exchange party where I took zero pictures because I was in a tv trance watching The Polar Express.  I'd never seen it before, and when we started it one of the girls' brother said his sister didn't want to watch it because it scared her.  I thought that was kind of weird until we got about a half hour in.  Y'all.  That movie is totally scary!  Hunter loves it, though.  He actually freaked out when we got home tonight because we didn't have it readily available for him to watch.

After the cookie exchange we went to the Hays' Christmas party where Santa and Mrs. Claus made their usual appearance.  We all went outside to greet him and both of my children held onto my legs with a death grip.  We all came in and Santa read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas to all the kids.  My kids were still holding on tight to their parents, which is totally fine with me.  I'll take snuggles anyway I can get them.

After nearly every family had taken a turn with Santa, Hunter decided he was ready.  And since Char pretty much does anything her big brother does, she decided she was ready too.  (I swear she wouldn't even have been scared of Santa, if that wasn't the reaction she saw in her brother.)  Even though they sat on his lap, you can see they were still a little cautious of him...




Thanks Kate and Crystal!  We had a great time at the parties, and are so thankful to be included!

Our verse on Friday night was Luke 2:21, which says "On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived."

Now I am the queen of giving way more information than required to my inquisitive son, and this was a prime example of that recurrent mistake.  I was explaining circumcision to Hunter and explained that it's when you cut a boy's penis.  But I took it a bit too far and told him that we circumcised him when he was a baby.  OMGoodness y'all.  He was horrified.  Luckily, he's still at the age where I can easily push him along to the next topic as long as I make it exciting enough.  And you know I used my most! exciting! voice! ever! when I shifted into talking about the Christmas cards we got that day.  "Hunter!  Look at this card!  It's Jackson! and Maddie! and Lila!  Oh! and look at sweet Tatum! and Nolan!"  The pictures helped.  A visual is always important in times like these.

Tonight we read Matthew 2:1-2, "After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, 'Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.'"

Tonight was the best, y'all.  After I read the verses, Hunter said, "Are the magi bad guys?"  (He's REALLY into good guys vs bad guys these days.  In every play situation you are assigned to be either the good or bad guy.  Obviously, I always hope to be a good guy...and that H chooses to be a good guy.  Basically I want everyone to just be good...much like in real life.)  So I explained that they were good guys, coming to worship the baby King, and Hunter said, "But Herod is the king."  So we got to have a good little talk about how Jesus is the KING of Kings!  And then Hunter said, "You know what mommy?  Jesus is God."  Oh it makes my heart swell right now thinking of it:)

And then.  Even better than that, I said, "Hunter, it was so exciting seeing Santa at the party and watching the Polar Express today about Santa, but is that what Christmas is about?"  And that sweet boy said, "No, it's about Jesus!"  So I said, "Why do we celebrate Christmas?"  And of course, he said "Because Jesus was born!"

My heart is so full...Thank you Lord for this season and for your ultimate gift to us.

1 comment:

The Hunter Family said...

This is my favorite Christmas post ever! Santa, Jesus, Good Guys, Bad Guys, Circumcision! It's perfect! Love you!