Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Winter Fun

I realized about a quarter of the way through the month that I wished I had started an Advent calendar this year, so I've been trying to come up with fun activities to do at night to put in next year's calendar.  Believe me, it's not easy to come up with 24 fun and toddler-friendly ideas, but I'm getting closer every day...the activities might be getting a little lamer by the day too.

Last night and tonight we did two of the un-lame activities I have for next year's calendar, and we had so much fun!  Last night we had Hunter's cousins, Aunts, friends Ronnie and Ethan, and their mommy over to eat smores and go ride the train in our neighborhood...

Toasting our marshmallows...

Hunter and Ronnie were a little cautious of the fire...we taught them well!

Char didn't get smores, but she's prepped for next year...


Then our fam and Ronnie's fam went over to ride this fun little train in the neighborhood.  This sweet man starts building it in his backyard every year on September 15 and opens Thanksgiving night.  He's open every night and gives free rides!


I was really surprised how many people were there.  Here's the entrance...

Waiting in line...

Ronnie and Hunter were mesmerized by the train.  They didn't take their eyes off of it for a second!


Char just looked cute as usual:)

We got there at a perfect time and didn't have to wait that long at all.  Here's our first ride...
James and Charlotte and Carrie and Ethan rode in front of us.


I tried a self-portrait, but cut most of Ronnie out of it.  Y'all know I don't have good picture-taking skills anyway, and that train was pretty wobbly and fast, so Carrie took one of all of us...

I promise my child isn't drugged...just in a train trance:)

After we finished, Ronnie and Hunter begged to go again, and even though it was bedtime, we waited for the next train and let them.  I know.  We're so fun.

Waiting for the train...


James didn't ride the second time, so of course I put him on picture duty...


Here's the sweet man who runs it (in front)...
What a good man!  That's a huge sacrifice to spend every night running trains for kids for free.  We're so thankful for his sweet heart:)

Then tonight we went to Santa's Village at the Civic Center in Richardson.  When we drove by we were surprised at how few people were there, and then we felt so lucky to score the most awesome parking spot ever...but when we walked to Santa's house, he wasn't there.  And then the reindeer weren't in their house either.  Soon we realized all of the shops were closed, but Hunter loved looking at all of the lights and characters anyway.  And, of course he loved the fountain...


Here's our stroll through in pictures...


Have a Merry Christmas, y'all!

No comments: