Monday, February 25, 2008

You've Come a Long Way Baby

It took us 11 months, but we made it. This weekend Hunter started crawling and pulling up. We're still in the early stages - he just moves his legs like twice before going into commando crawl mode - but I know he'll be ready to enter a marathon in a few short weeks. In literally 2 days, our sweet boy has become mobile! And he is soooo excited. . . okay mostly I am soooo excited.

I can't believe that this screaming little baby...

has finally become this smily little boy...

(Okay so he's not smily here. I totally had a video of him crawling, but I can't figure out how to save it to my computer to upload. This is the only picture I have of him in quadriped, so you'll have to use your imagination.)

This new set of skills is going to open up a world of possiblities for Hunter. Now when he's playing with a toy and it's out of reach, he just gets down on his tummy and slides/crawls to it. This is HUGE y'all. We don't have to put him on his tummy anymore. He does it ALL. BY. HIMSELF. Who can belive that?! And without screaming! Or crying! I cannot begin to describe how excited and proud I am about this. Remember that as you read on. I am not complaining, but I should have known with so much good you have to expect some bad, right? It's more than a fair trade.


What am I talking about? The effect that Hunter's mobility had on my day today. My son is an amazing sleeper. I have been sure to vocalize my thankfulness for this at least weekly. I understand how lucky I am. There is never any doubt that Hunter will lay down around 2 and sleep for 1 1/2 - 2 hours everyday. So today when I got home from work, we raced to the nursery to pick out some flowers that I was going to plant in our pitiful flower beds during Hunter's naptime. I knew I'd have a couple of hours, so this would be no problem. Right.

I bought like 20 flowers y'all. And for those of you who don't do yardwork (aka, me until about a month ago), that takes a LONG time. So we come home and I feed Hunter and put him down in his crib. I get all of my gardening gear out in the front yard and plug the monitor in outside. After about 20 minutes of listening to Hunter "talk", the screaming starts. I ignore it at first, but once it gets to the point where I'm positive one of my neighbors will call CPS on me, I have no choice but to give in. This is how I find Hunter...



Ultimately I ended up taking him outside with me to plant flowers. After about 20 minutes, he started showing serious signs of boredom and thankfully a little fatigue, so I took him back inside and laid him down. Another 20 minutes later there are ear piercing screams coming through the monitor, so I run inside again (sigh) and find him like this...


All I could do was smile. We went back outside together again where Hunter began to play and eventually ended up on his tummy with a smile on his face, and that, my friends, is beautiful.

8 comments:

Pint Sized Life said...

Hooray Hunter!!! I'm so sorry your sleeping has been disturbed but so proud of him!!

Heather Anderson said...

That is so awesome Carole! Don't worry, I have been told that with each new milestone....the sleeping gets messed up. They just want to practice their new skills and not go to sleep. It will go back to normal soon. Parker did the same thing when he started walking, but now he stands up and plays for a minute and then lays down to sleep.

Rikki said...

Yay for Hunter! Life is so cool when you can move independently, huh?

We had the nap-interrupting sessions too when Charlie started rolling, and a little with the crawling. Actually, the hard part with the crawling was in the bathtub...he kept trying to crawl in the water, and then he'd slip and plant his face in the water...scary! He has a bath seat now so he can't escape. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Great job Hunter! I expect an exhibition when you guys come over tomorrow. No pressure...

Crystal Hays said...

Yeah Hunter!! I'm so proud of him and I know you are, too! Can't wait to see his new skills when we all get together on Friday.

Katie said...

I am soooo excited for Hunter!!! I can't wait to see him crawl. He'll be running races with Vanesa and Zack in no time!

Trina said...

Good job Hunter!

Good job Carole on the green thumb!

The Hunter Family said...

Yea! I am happy for yall! So much comfort, yet a whole new set of challenges! Good Luck!