Monday, October 22, 2007

The Coke - Dr. Pepper Saga

I am a Coke lover. I can't even remember a time in my life when I didn't love and have a serious addiction to the stuff. We have a definite love/hate relationship. I have fleeting thoughts of how it's definitely not a healthy option, and all of the little factoids that I've learned through the years start to pop into my head. You know, it's green before they add the coloring to it, it can burn or break down or melt or do something horrible to a battery when it's poured over one, it'll make pop rocks explode in your mouth and shoot through your brain. Harmless little tidbits like that.

I have gone through phases where I wean myself off and quit. I've even gone several months without one, but then one day I'll crave it, have one drink of the sweet goodness, and I'm instantly hooked again. I didn't even stop when I was pregnant with this sweet boy.
And we know how much I'm in love with him! In fact, I craved it more than ever when I was pregnant with him. Hopefully this isn't an indication of his future love for it. I discussed with James the idea of not letting Hunter try it until he was in high school. James didn't think that was too realistic since a good parent would probably need to model the desired behavior we want from the kid. And if anyone expects me to go the next 14 years without a Coke, you're crazy.

I've never ever thought of switching to another carbonated beverage. I have always been a loyal, dedicated patron to the Coke product. Now Dr. Pepper has always come in a distant second. I'll drink it if there's not a Coke option (heavy sigh), but not a first choice for me. . . until lately.

I can't tell y'all how distressed I am about this. I LOVE coke! It is my friend! It has gotten me through some rough times! It can comfort me in a way no other beverage can!

I feel like a traitor. A disgrace to all of the other Coke addicts out there. How can I choose Dr. Pepper so easily when sweet little Coke is sitting there trying it's hardest to tempt me? I tried to dismiss it as a phase, but it's been several weeks now and my taste buds are still rebelling against my heart and brain. What a sad, sad thing. Oh my beloved Coke! How I miss you!

3 comments:

Trina said...

Hate to say this honey, but as you get OLDER, your taste buds change! : ) Ok, I am kidding! Maybe you are just craving something sweeter. I would love to have a coke, it's been 3 years next month...but because of that medication, no carbonated beverages for me. Oh, when someone has one in a restaurant, it looks so refreshing in the glass with the ice and the bubbles and I can taste it...wow! But then I know if I do taste it, yuck! It will taste like ugh...yuck, nasty.

Love ya, Mom

Katie said...

First, Hunter looks so sweet in that picture. Second, Dr. Pepper rocks! Caffeine is some addicting stuff that's why I try to stay away from it. I haven't been doing a very good job of that lately though. :(

Anonymous said...

It's GREEN?
I don't care...don't think I can give it up. What makes Dr. Pepper so much better, anyways?