Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Wicked

So Friday night James and I went to go see Wicked with our friends Hunter and Carrie. If you are going to see it, I'd stop reading now so that I don't give parts away. I have to ask myself, "What's all the hype about?" I was not impressed. I will say that there were some good songs and that Wicked Witch is pretty talented, but it does not live up to all of the kudos it's been given. I (along with the other 3 people with me) was expecting something competely different. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Legally Blonde and all, but who's idea is it to use Elle's character as the inspiration for the young Glinda (or should I say Galinda)? How annoying is that? Also, what's up with the wicked witch being completely innocent and martyresque and everyone else in Oz having a little wicked in them? It is kind of entertaining to see how the writer made all of the wicked things that Elfaba (the wicked witch) did in The Wizard of Oz to really have had good intentions behind them, but he had some trouble making the scarecrow's storyline fit with the Wizard of Oz. As James pointed out, what about when the wicked witch taunts the scarecrow and throws fire at him in the Wizard of Oz? I really don't think she'd try to kill the man she's in love with! As I say all this, I do recognize that I couldn't have done any better (or come even close to being this creative) at writing a musical, but I was disappointed. I probably would have enjoyed it more if every person I know hadn't raved about how amazing it was. So if you haven't seen it and you're still reading, I'm not saying not to see it, just don't expect the best musical ever written.


Here's a picture that Vanesa took of James and I before we left for the show (obviously not the best angle to make me look slim). We didn't get any pictures of us with our friends at the show because the mean usher lady threatened the girls behind us when they had their camera out , and I didn't want to risk mine getting confiscated!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know what you're talking about, but that's the best picture ever! My baby is an awesome photographer!!!

amy said...

I know we already discussed your views about Wicked. I've thought about it long and hard and I've decided that I will still be your friend even though we totally disagree on this.
Wicked is amazing. It is all about what does it mean to be wicked? Are people born that way or does it come from their circumstances?
I'm so sad that you didn't enjoy it. So so so sad. But we can still be friends.