Sunday, December 21, 2014

Advent, Days 18, 19, 20, 21

The really fun activities have started now that school is out!  Backing up to Thursday, the 18th, we baked cupcakes for the mail carrier and left a package in the mailbox for her.  We ate some, too, of course!

Friday was the big kids' last day of school.  They had their holiday parties first thing in the morning, so I split my time between the two.  I went to Charlotte's party first.  They had quite a breakfast feast and made a fun snowman craft. 

Charlotte loves her teacher, Mrs. Anderson, who is pregnant with twin girls!  She's due in March, and I know Charlotte will miss her when she is out for maternity leave...

After about 25 minutes, I headed over to Hunter's party, and the second graders were crazy!  They were already hyped up on sugar and tearing into their goodie bags.  By the time I got there, they were mostly just hanging out and goofing off together.  I was glad to get to see Hunter in his school element, though.  I asked this friend of his to take a picture of Hunter and I, and he wanted me to get one of him, first...


Then all of these crazy boys came over and wanted a picture together...
They are a fun crew! 

The kids got to leave for the day after the party if a parent was there to take them home, so we went home and relaxed until around 4 when it was time to head to Six Flags!!  I really debated taking Grey, but ultimately decided to leave him at Katie's house.  My heart was aching as we drove away.  I felt so bad leaving him there, but after we got to the park, I felt better about my choice.  It was pretty cold and we stayed there late, so it was better for him to stay in the warm and get to bed at a decent hour.

We were all super excited when we got there!

It wasn't crowded at all, so we just picked a direction and started walking - no map or plan or anything!  We ended up in Mexico first, so we rode the sombrero and pretty much walked right on...
It made me a little nervous every time we dipped low to toward the concrete, but Charlotte's squeals of delight made it all worth it!

Then we headed to the Conquistador (the big rocking ship).  Hunter said no way, so he and James watched Charlotte and I...
She was excited and wanted to sit on the end even though I told her it would go higher.  We were the second row in from the edge, and you should have seen her face when we went really high.  She was really scared!  That girl didn't let it ruin her night, though.  She was so brave and kept on riding those crazy rides!

The little teacups were the last ride in Mexico...
I was feeling really dizzy - and old - by the end of that one!

We were ready for dinner by the time we left Mexico, so we stopped at JB's BBQ.  The food was less than average, but the company was superb;)


Then we went to a slow boat ride...

And the antique cars...

When we were in line for the antique cars, we saw the snow hill, so of course we had to head over!  This was the longest wait of the night...

The snow hill had a good view of the shock wave and Charlotte was adamant to do it.  Hunter opted out, so he and James went to go up the tower, but it was shut down, so they went back to the antique cars.  As Charlotte and I were walking up, I told her that it was ok if she changed her mind when we got up there.  There was no time, though, because we just walked right on...never stopped or waited at all.  She was giddy as we sat down, but once we started going, she got quiet, and when I asked if she was nervous, she just nodded.  I closed my eyes and screamed during a lot of the ride, but she was just silent.  (I did a lot of praying on the way up, too...I was so nervous, and I used to love roller coasters!)  Afterward, she said it was more fun than scary!
 
I can't remember what was next, but eventually we rode the mini mine train and the mine train.  Hunter and I were in the very front car on the mine train.  James was proud of his photo bomb...

That was Hunter's favorite ride, so we went back at the end of the night to do it again.

Swings...

We spent a little time in the kiddie area and took pictures with the reindeer...


And the kids rode 2 rides.  Hunter remembered this from a couple of years ago and was asking about it before we even got to the kids area.  They had so much fun!
After hot chocolate and a funnel cake, we headed to do judge roy scream.  Hunter had to go to the bathroom while we were in line, so he and James went back down.  I was kind of glad, because this was more scary than shockwave I thought.  So many hills!  Char was screaming, "it's too scary, daddy" over and over as soon as we saw them when we exited.  So of course Hunter decided not to do it after hearing that, and we headed back to the mine train before going home.

We were beat, but had a blast.  Holiday in the Park is definitely the time to go to Six Flags.  No sweat and barely any lines!

Saturday, we had our Sunday school class party (with kids), and then today, we went to Sparkle! at the Anatole after church.  It definitely wasn't worth the cost in my opinion, but now we know...


James and Hunter went to do the ice skating first thing, while Grey, Char and I got in the LONG line for face painting...

Eventually, Hunter came up and he headed to these basketball hoops while Char got her face painted.  He made some good shots!



They had these fun houses you could take pictures in.  Grey liked exploring them...
 

 

And several bounce houses...

With slides...
 
And one with a really tall slide...
I got this brilliant idea to take Grey up.  About 3-4 steps in, I realized that it was going to be pretty difficult to make it all the way to the top with him...he is heavy and it was steep.  Halfway up, he started to get scared.  He was clinging to my shirt and eventually I couldn't carry him anymore.  I tried to set him in front of me, so I could kind of push him up, but he wasn't having it.  I had to turn around and awkwardly climb down with a trail of kids behind me.  It was kind of awful.  At least Hunter and Char had fun sliding:)
 


Grey did like doing this non-bouncy, not as tall slide...

 
Earlier in the week, we read in the book of Micah about the prophecy of Bethlehem...that even though it is small, it will be famous because of Jesus.  And then we read in the gospels how Jesus was born in Bethlehem.  Tonight we read in Matthew 2 about the wise men telling Herod about Jesus and it quoted that same prophecy from Micah.  I love teaching the kids - and reminding myself - how God knit this beautiful story together before time began.  He knew exactly how and where and when Jesus would be born before the creation of the Earth.  I am humbled and honored to be able to love and serve Him.

No comments: