Saturday, May 5, 2012

Summer Fun

Oh, wait.  It's not summer?  You can see how I could be confused with the sweat that was dripping off of all of us at the zoo today.  And the fact that it's 95 degrees outside.  Ninety-five degrees.  On May 5th.  Happy Cinco de Mayo, Dallas!  Don't get too fried while you're out there celebrating. 

At least we remembered sunscreen.

And we definitely had fun while we were working up a sweat...and complete exhaustion.  First we headed to the flamingos...

Then we ventured to the bug house, which totally creeped me out.  I was too busy shuddering to get any pictures.  After we looked at lots of huge birds, we saw this fun turtle statue...

And around the corner was a big open area of a lot of other big turtle statues...except they weren't really statues.  Huge turtles y'all.  I was shocked.

Then we met up with Amelia and her mommy and headed to the children's zoo...


The kids begged to play in the water.  We didn't have appropriate attire for this.  We told them no.  They freaked.  My flip flop broke.  I almost fell walking to the gift shop to ask if they had any I could buy.  This sweet lady had a brand new pair in her purse.  She gave them to me.  We were so thankful for her.  That's the short of it.

After a while we passed this area where you could feed the birds this little cup of nectar (for a fee of course...nothing's free at the zoo...I'm not bitter, though).  We got one for H and C, but both of them dropped their cup in fright.  I have to say it is really hard to keep your hand steady as you see a bird flying at you at what seems like a rapid speed. 

I may have dropped the cup too. 

After the drop, James quickly picked H's cup up before the birds swarmed and helped him hold it...

 One of the birds landed on James's back!

This actually happened to Kim (Amelia's mom) as well, and while I silently prayed that it wouldn't happen to me (having a bird on my hand feeding out of the cup I'm holding is about as much as I can take), Amelia became very frightened.  Luckily the "zoo man" helped out pretty quickly.

Then we headed over to have lunch at Serengeti Grill where you can eat and the lions "come right up to the window".  Except they didn't.  It was a huge window, but the lions were nowhere to be found.  We were just thankful for the air conditioner, though.

After feeding the giraffes, we headed to the monorail...

 And then rode the carousel...
Hunter was adamant about riding the eagle.  We walked all the way around to find it because he had seen it before we got our tickets and was determined to ride it.  I love him:)


Charlotte and Amelia rode in the teacup-style bird's nest.  They are such sweet friends...




We bought a membership for the year, so hopefully the weather will cool down a little before summer so we can go lots and not expire from heat exhaustion:)

No comments: