Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Blessing of Being a Mom

Yesterday I read two articles on motherhood that moved me.  I mean really moved me, y'all.  I had tears streaming down my face by the end of this one, and the hair was standing up on my arms while reading this one.  In my head I like to live in a place where I think that all moms really do want the best for their children.  And really do want to teach them to be the kind of people that contribute to our society and love others well and are kind to the people they come across.  I want to teach my children so many of the things these moms mentioned.  Some of my favorites...

Just wait until your daughter stands up for a classmate who is struggling, and her peers, humbled, apologize.

Just wait until your child’s quick sense of humor makes you double over with laughter.

Just wait until you hear your son invite a friend to church.

and...

I hope I raise a child who loses graciously and wins without bragging. I hope he learns that disappointments are fleeting and so are triumphs, and if he comes home at night to people who love him, neither one matter. Nobody is keeping score, except sometimes on Facebook.

I hope I raise a child who realizes that life is unfair: Some people are born rich or gorgeous. Some people really are handed things that they don’t deserve. Some people luck into jobs or wealth that they don’t earn. Tough.

I hope I raise a child who can spot superficiality and artifice from a mile away and spends his time with people and things that feel authentic to him.

I want to be the best mom that I can to these two little people that God has entrusted to me.  I want to teach them all of these things.  I want them to love Jesus more than themselves and have the kind of heart that loves all people just because they are part of God's creation.  We are in this together.  No matter how different we are...we will all face the same God at the end of this life.  I want my children to stand before Him and have a testimony that has made Him proud.  I want to raise my children to know the purpose of our life here is to love each other and serve the God that has such great mercy on us.

Today after church Hunter said, "I'm thankful that God gave us together."  I am so thankful for that, too.  One of my greatest joys in life is to be their mother...



No comments: