Friday, June 11, 2010

Are We There Yet?

I love telling stories, and it's a well known fact that sometimes I get so wrapped up in my story-telling that I might exaggerate just a teeny tiny smidge.  I'm not trying to lie, I just like things big and eventful.  After all I am from Texas...and I was the reigning Drama Queen of the Zeta Sigma chapter of KKG for the 4 years that I was there.  Not that I'm proud of this.  Believe me, by my senior year I was begging people not to vote for me, which of course made them want to even more. 

Anyway. 

Just know that I am not exaggerating when I tell you that my daughter scream-cried for 75% of the trip out to Odessa on Tuesday.  It was torture.  By the time we entered Odessa's city limits, Hunter was losing all sanity.  He pooched out his trembling bottom lip, tears flowing, and said, "I wanna go home." 
So.  Sad.  But when we pulled into Aunt Melanie's driveway less than 5 minutes later, Hunter was giddy to see cousin Brooke.  She was just as happy to see him, and they jumped around and did a happy dance together on top of the sidwalk chalked Welcome written out just for us on the concrete.

We had so much fun visiting.  Here's a rundown of our events...

Wednesday we went to the spray park...
It was hot y'all. H.O.T.  I almost couldn't bear it, and spent the entire time making sure my sweet baby girl kept her hat on and watching my pasty white son like a  hawk to ensure that neither of them got third-degree burns from the blazing sun.

The much tanner Thayer kids were made for summer water fun.  Carson loved splashing in the water... 
and posed perfectly for my pictures:)

Big sister Brooke, loved it even more...
She was fearless!

Hunter, on the other hand, was not the biggest fan...
He didn't want to go through that tunnel or really stand in any area that would splash him.  He eventually came and sat by Char and I, but quickly ran away because he was getting sprayed...

I sat there thinking, Where does he get this?  Why doesn't he just have fun like the other kids?, but my thoughts were interrupted by this horribly annoying pecking feeling on my legs, which I soon realized was water slapping against them from the sprayer nearby.  And it was then that I realized, I wouldn't love this either.  It felt worse to me than nails on a chalkboard sound. 

So we got up and went over to the playground where it was still hot...
but Hunter had a lot more fun.  Eventually Brooke and Carson joined us to play before we went home.

On Thursday we went to a puppet show at the library that I sooo wish I had recorded for y'all because it was hysterical...mostly because of how pitiful it was.  After the library we played around the house...

Brooke has the Fisher Price version of a Wii, so she and Hunter had fun playing baseball...
and tennis...
and golf...
We'll just say it doesn't seem as though golf will be the sport where our son excels...he sure was good at the other two though;)

That night we went to the Midland Rockhound's baseball game where I spent most of the time feeling nauseated and only captured this photo...

Luckily, Brooke took several for me of the field and the dudes next to us.  Since posting pictures of random men on my family blog seems a little strange, I'll just share a photo of the field...

It was a great trip, and Hunter was so sad to leave Brooke and Carson this morning...and reminded us the.entire.way.home that he wanted to "goooo seeeee cousiiiiin Broooooke". 

Charlotte had a much better drive back home.  Hunter, on the other hand, whined about everything.  It was comical really.  I laughed so hard I cried.  Literally.

1 comment:

Rikki said...

wow, charlotte is getting cuter by the second!

we've had road trips very similar to that! trapped in a car with a screaming baby and grumpy 3 year old is not fun!