Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And we threw the schedule right out the window...

So it figures that my kid would be language delayed. I had dreams of doing speech therapy on him every day until he became this miraculous freak of nature kid who spoke in sentences at 12 months, but that's not how God made my sweet, perfect little boy.

God has been persistent with this whole teaching me patience thing since Hunter was born. It was a lesson I was resistent to learning, but apparently He feels like I lack this virtue in a major way, because He has - not quietly - shown me over the last 18 months that I need more and more opportunities to practice it.

Hunter has one word in his expressive vocabulary y'all. Don't get me wrong. He is dang good at that word and will use it appropriately all day long if given the oppportunity. Oh and you know when your mom is a speech therapist, every chance will be taken to manipulate social situations so that your one word expressive vocabulary can be used to maximum capacity. I don't think any other toddler can say "bye bye" as beautifully as he can. I guess technically you could say he has 4 words, but the English minor in me isn't willing to count "yum", "moo", and "baa baa" (as in black sheep) as words. Harsh, I know. It's tough being my kid.

This lack of expressive language is the major reason we've decided to finally enroll Hunter in day care (or as I will refer to it from now on because I am hating the stigma attached to day care, school). He starts in the 18-24 month class on Monday, so this Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Hunter and I are going up to his school from 9-10 to participate together in the activities with his teachers and classmates.

I'm feeling really, really good about this decision. This school is next to impossible to get in to and there have been 3 times now that they have called me with inexplicable openings. (God had to nudge a little hard for James and I to see the plan here.) The most stressful thing about this change is that Hunter still takes 2 naps a day at 9:30 and 2:30. His new class naps at 11:45 until I pick him up at 2. I am seeing serious tantrums in Hunter's teachers' future. They got a glimpse of these today as we neared the 10 o'clock hour and my son began incessantly rubbing his eyes. As tired as he was, though, he would not nap for my sister all day. Does anyone want to guess when I put him down for his first (and only) nap of the day? 3:50. Yes. 3:50. AKA, over six hours after he usually lays down for his first nap. Surprisingly though, he wasn't really anymore tantrumy than he's been the rest of the week, so this helps me to stress out a tiny bit less over the napping transition in our immediate future.

I loved Hunter's teachers today, and he had a great time in chapel and in outside play with his classmates. I really talked up school all morning in my happiest, sing-songy, super excited voice. I had him almost convinced that it was going to be a fun time before we left the house... As you can see he was still a little hesitant, but by the time we got there (after much more high pitched, sing songy "school is soooo much fun!!!!!" type statements), he couldn't contain the excitement...

How can you not fall in love with that boy? God couldn't have matched a more perfectly laid back, chill kid with this high energy, dramatic mama. I heart him. So much:)

8 comments:

Pint Sized Life said...

I wish we could just tell God that we have learned the patience thing. I apparently am failing that lesson as well!

Crazy May Days said...

I am so proud of you Carole because I know what a HARD decision that was for you and James to make. You guys are such incredible parents! I am SO SO confident that the school will be just perfect for Hunter! Remember that Hunter is developing BEAUTIFULLY and at his own rate! Molly could stand to marry a smart, handsome, QUIET child to balance her unruly craziness. You never know, Hunter might just be the perfect balance to a number two Brooks baby one day? We are looking at LHCCEC for Molly down the road...is that where you are? I am bummed that you won't be at the aquarium tomorrow! We need a playdate!

Kaitlin L. said...

He is such a cutie - have fun at school Hunter!

Maddie didn't talk until 18 months either, and we can't get her to stop talking 2 years later :)

Rikki said...

ok, so first, yum is a real word. and i count animal sounds too. they're on the Rosetti checklist we do with our toddlers at work!

i think school will be super fun for hunter. charlie goes to MDO/school 2 days a week, and he fusses at the drop off, but gets over it fast. he even slept on a mat on the floor the first day they transitioned him to it. how could an 18 mo. old sleep on the floor? he just gets up and walks away if i try it here...but there's something about peer pressure that makes it work, so i'll bet hunter won't have too much trouble with the nap thing.

you're a great mommy, carole, and hunter's a great kid!

Katie said...

I really did try to get him to nap! Several times! I guess my house was just too much fun. I know Hunter will do great at school and before you know it you'll be wishing he'd just stop talking all the time! Oh and I'm still trying to learn the whole patience thing. ;)

Anonymous said...

No pressure, but I'm watching how you handle everything since Keves seems to be following Hunter's footsteps. (Will not crawl, and the closest thing he does to talking is saying "mmmmmmm!" in a really cranky tone when he's fussy.) But don't worry, before you know it Hunter will know such gems as no, gimme, and mine. ;-)

Emily said...

We missed you today!!!
Hang in there Carole!! I'm sure it was a tough decision, but we are all thinking about you guys and praying for Hunter and a quick adjustment to school!

Heather Anderson said...

I am sure he's going to love it Carole! Parker started school this week and it was definitely rough for his hormonal momma to leave him crying but he has been so happy playing with friends. It will be great for Hunter. Good luck.