Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Wobbly Boy, Clumsy Girl

So yesterday while I was playing with Hunter on his mat on the floor, I was so proud of how well he is starting to support himself while sitting alone. He uses his abdominal muscules to pull himself back towards the center whenever he starts to lean to the side or back. This, however, is not the case every time he starts to lean, so he lost his balance and fell backward multiple times. Luckily, he thought this was a game, smiling and laughing with each fall.


This got me thinking about how clumsy I am. I constantly have bruises on my legs and cannot identify the source of a good 95% of them. I have never been a graceful girl, but amazingly I have never broken a bone or had to have stitches due to an accident. I have unfortunately suffered much embarrassment at the hands of my clumsiness. Here is a run down of my minor disasters.


5th grade: Walked into into my friend Alaina's storm door while leaving her birthday party. Luckily there were no cuts or bruises, just an achy nose and flushed cheeks from the horror of it.


8th grade: Sprained the growth plate in my ankle at cheerleading camp. . . while running back to the dorm to get pizza. At least I can do cheerobics without hurting myself! Luckily there's not much running involved in cheerleading.


11th grade: Fall on my face in front of my entire high school (and several GHS alums and parents) while attempting to tumble out during half time at our playoff game at SMU. Did I mention it was raining? That will be my excuse. This has nothing to do with my lack of grace. Unlike the 5th grade incident, I did walk away from this with significant physical evidence of my clumsiness. The skin was scraped off of several spots on my face. I can still see the horror in my fellow cheerleaders' faces as they looked at me. To add even more insult to injury, upon my return to school one of my teachers' comments was, "Oh Carole, it doesn't look as bad as everyone's been saying." Good. Way to build me up. Then to make it even worse, later my freshman year of college (yes, col-lege) I was in the bathroom at a fraternity party when some girl I've never seen approaches me and says, "Weren't you a cheerleader at Garland High School? Yeah, weren't you that one who fell on her face that time?" Thanks for the memories. I really wanted to re-live that with all of my college girlfriends.


Junior in college: Fall, yet again, while running down the sidewalk toward my friends' apartment. I still have the scar on my hand to prove it. I was in flip flops. . . uh, and jeans. . . yeah, yeah it was the jeans! Who wouldn't fall while attempting to run without the appropriate shoes (and with long jeans to trip over)?


June 2006 (I'm out of grades in school to qualify my age with, so we'll just have to go with the date): Fall (shocking!) out of the wedding party bus after pulling up to the church at James' good friend Deeg's wedding. I completely RUINED my shoes and had blood and scratches all over the palms of my hand and my knees. . . and I got to be referred to as "that girl that fell off the bus" for the rest of the weekend. Smooth.


Note of interest: (I actually debated including this because it just makes me look like even more of a clutz, but I guess it's pretty obvious if you know me) I had not consumed any alcohol in any of the above scenarios. Most of you know I don't really care for the stuff. Just a good ole lack of coordination.

And since I can't publish a post without a pic of my baby boy. Here is some Bumbo cuteness!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Carole that was too funny!!! Remember the time that I fell backwards down your stairs!! I just love how graceful we are. :)

Hunter looks super cute!

Carole said...

Okay, I'm lauging right now. I love that story of you falling down the stairs - definitely one of the funniest moments IN MY LIFE.

Thanks for always commenting:)

Kaitlin L. said...

I think it's hilarious that you remember all of those - I was just known as the "clutzy tall girl" - there were too many incidents to count. Great that Hunter's sitting, too - go Hunter!

Trina said...

I am glad you can remember all of those with humor. Two of those scared me to death! Especially when I had to race to Denton to take you to the emergency room when you fell running for pizza! Let's hope that Hunter gets James' grace!

Love,
Mom

Rikki said...

carole, i remember you telling that story about the high school cheerleading incident when we were in PLP in grad school...at least we know for certain that hunter won't be a cheerleader. hehe!