Sunday, April 24, 2011

Egg Hunts

Once again we had tons of egg hunting fun this year!  We don't do the Easter Bunny, and as y'all can probably guess, I fret over if this is the right decision.  My intentions are good, wanting our kids to focus on the truth of the holiday, but I don't want it to backfire one day.  I can just see our kids sitting in therapy as adults discussing how their too religious mother robbed them of their childhood...or worse to take it out on Jesus and not on me.  As I was lamenting over it last night, James reminded me that we do lots of fun Jesus-centered Easter activities and our children get loaded up on candy every year with the oodles of egg hunts we take them to.  Not to mention the grandparents who do gifts for every holiday.  I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up with baskets of Arbor Day goodies for the kids one day.  We are so, so blessed by all of them!

We only had 3 egg hunts this year, but Charlotte's friend, Kennedy, had a birthday party on Saturday where they got lots of Easter themed cakes and candies, so I calculated that into their sugar fest.  The first round was at our HOA's egg hunt last Saturday morning.  Hunter's a champ at this sport by now, so he raced out and filled his basket until the eggs were falling out of it!

The kids were divided by age, so James was with Charlotte, and I had to take pictures from afar...

There were snow cones and donuts (plus the candy from the eggs), so our kids were elated...

After inhaling some sugar, Hunter decided he wanted a tattoo...

I'm hoping if he decides to get a real tatto one day, he'll choose something a little smaller.

Our second hunt was yesterday at my friend Lisa's sister's husband's parents' house...a little far removed from us!  They were so hospitable, though, even though we were essentially strangers! 
This picture cracks me up.  I love how he's skipping with joy to find his eggs!



Charlotte had it down without any help this time...





This picture is so typical of my children's photo poses...
Charlotte's ghetto chin lift and Hunter's squinty eyed smile warm my heart:)

There was a bounce house at the party and both kids loved it...


I got in with them after the egg hunt and was so surprised that no one else was coming back there.  Later I found out that the Easter Bunny was out front so all of the kids were taking pictures with him.  Earlier Hunter had frantically told us that  he did not want to see the Easter Bunny when he'd heard people talking about it, so we didn't really miss out on anything except a terrified 4 year old. 

Charlotte kept acting like she was taking a nap in the bounce house...
It is pretty soft in there. 


Our last egg hunt was at our house after church today.  It was just our family and Katie's family because my mom, Court and my Nanny are on a cruise.  Sweet Vanesa helped Charlotte with her eggs so I could get more pictures...because that is totally what I need...more pictures of my kids hunting eggs...


Hunter's joyful skip again...love it!


 Charlotte would put an egg in her basket and immediately say, "more".  It was too cute!


Hunter was such a sweet brother and pointed out the last egg to his sister...

As you can imagine, we now have 2 baskets full of candy!

True Easter post coming soon...

No comments: