Saturday, March 7, 2009

Four

Okay so this is a little late, but in the words of our overly dramatic Saved By the Bell friend, Jesse, THERE'S NO TIME!! THERE'S NEVER ANY TIME!!!
...
It's been a crazy weekend. I literally haven't stopped at all since Friday morning (unless you count my 7 hours of sleep last night, but really people, how is that enough for a women who's growing a human? Especially when said woman runs around like a maniac from 7 am to at least 10:30 pm 2 days in a row.)
...
Enough with my excuses. Let's get to the point already...
James and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary on Thursday. Most of y'all know that I have many, many, many, (a milllion manys) things I would change about my wedding day. It's really just a side effect of my crazy type A, perfect-day-wishing self.
...
Somehow throughout our entire engagement I morphed into this person who didn't pay attention to or care about detail and just wanted to get married. (I do acknowledge that actually wanting the marriage and not just the wedding is a good thing.) So there were many things I would go back and change...photographer, bridesmaids dresses, hair style, my dress (I had 2 dresses I couldn't decide between so of course I'm going to second guess that I should've picked the other one), and on and on.
...
So every anniversary James and I watch our wedding video. Now I LOVED this video the first 10 times we watched it (in case the math isn't adding up for you here, I watched that thing about 20 times the first week we got it), but then the nit picking started. Nothing's perfect...my skin's too oily, I look frumpy in my dress, it's stupid that my bridesmaids are wearing long black dresses at a 1:00 wedding, blah, blah, blah. So obviously all of that horrible regret of tiny, unimportant detail that no one even cares about crept up from deep down until the thoughts were overtaking my mind. I know. It's a little obsessive, but that's me...for better or worse. So I'm laying there obsessing, and I think to myself, would you give everything you have just to go back and have the perfect day? And that's all it took to snap out of it.
...
Because this is my everything...
And they are worth so much more than a lifetime of perfect wedding days.

4 comments:

Trina said...

So glad to read that last sentence! I think it was a perfect wedding day...you were a beautiful bride and still are. I love you all!
Mom

Stefani said...

Awww! How sweet!! Happy Anniversary :-) I obsessed too. I even threw away most of my bridal portraits because I hated them--thought my arms made me look like an orangatang, etc.

Rikki said...

i would change things about our wedding day too...but i don't want to go back and do it again. planning a wedding is too stressful! i guess i have ~35 years to plan our daughter's wedding (since she can't date till she's 30), so i can get all the details right this time. ha!

i LOVE the jesse spano quote. "i'm so excited...i'm so...scared!"

Brandie said...

Happy Anniversary!!