Friday, July 8, 2011

Independence

Sadly I didn't pay much attention to history and government in high school.  Don't get me wrong, I always crammed for tests so that I could at least get a decent grade, but I just didn't really care all that much about it.  So I didn't let it sink in, but quickly forgot most of the details the minute that test was over.  And don't even get me started on economics and political science in college.  Not a clue.  Zero percent interested.  But, since becoming a parent (or maybe it's just that I'm officially a "grown up" now), I've found that I care a little more and am regretful of my past flippant attitude.  So this year as we celebrated the birth of our free country, I was so thankful to be a citizen in a land where there is so much great history to learn.

We celebrated the 4th at my dad's house, and the kids had tons of outdoor fun.  Charlotte loved dad's 4 wheeler....

And Hunter and Zack had tons of fun with these poppers...

And while I was distracted by the ringing in my ears from the 8000 decibel popping, Charlotte ran over and climbed back up on the four wheeler...

Luckily we caught her before she started to drive it off, but it didn't take much time before she found something else to climb...

After we ate dinner, dad decided to light some smokers (those colored smoke thingys), but sweet Charlotte was more excited about the rocks...

She loves rocks.  She will exclaim, "Ock!  Ock!" with glee anytime she can get her hands on them.

Hunter was much more excited by the colored smoke...
Personally, I think it's a bit anti-climactic, but better than rocks I guess!

Soon after the smoke disappeared, Char ran over to this pile of dirt to start collecting more rocks...


And some more...

She finally had to stop gathering when her little arms couldn't hold anymore...

The kids also loved picking vegetables from my dad's vegetable garden...




And the grand finale was a ride on the tractor...





Hunter is a teeny bit obsessed with construction-type vehicles, so this was a great way to end his day.  Who needs fireworks when you get to ride a tractor!!  Twice!

Happy Independence, y'all!

No comments: