Monday, May 18, 2009

Manipulation Station

So I've started noticing a teeny tiny amount of manipulation and deception in Hunter's behavior when he wants something that he knows good and well he can't have. Tonight at bath was the biggest yet...

Y'all know my son likes to clean. (You can start lining your daughters up now if you'd like because one day he's so going to be husband of the year with those mad cleaning skills.) Anyway. Every night in the bathtub, Hunter asks for the washcloth so he can "keen" (clean) the bathtub with it. (Be comforted in knowing that I never give it to him until we are completely done with washing his body. Y'all know I'm too germaphobic to let my child clean the grout of the tub and then his own precious skin. Nast.) I have no problem with his love for cleaning the tub because obviously it's helping me out in my current toohugetobendovertowipeitdownmyself state...until he starts putting the washcloth - sopping with the dirty bath water - into his mouth and s.u.c.k.i.n.g it. It grosses me out. We have zero tolerance for this in our house. And the child knows it.

So tonight, as usual he asks for the washcloth and excitedly shouts, "keen it! keen it!" as he wipes down the side of the tub. Then he reaches the washcloth up to his face, and before he gets it to his mouth, he gets the standard, stern warning that if he puts it in his mouth, I'm taking it away. I look away for a second and it's up at his face again, but before I can take it away he says, "keen nose! keen nose!" Then looks at the washcloth and says, "no booguhs."

This continues for a while, and I quickly notice that each time he brings the washcloth down past his nose, he shoots his eyes in my direction, deceitfully wipes the washcloth on his tongue...very discretely, and announces, "keen nose!" I was amazed by this. In the words of my husband, that kid is too smart for his own good.

I do have to add...he sure is cute though:)

4 comments:

Trina said...

I think he has figured you out! Sorry Honey, but that story is funny...maybe it is the drugs I am on right now, but I thought it was funny. And yes, he is so cute!

Rikki said...

hmmm...so sneaky!

Katie said...

That is so funny! Why do boys like to eat their boogers?

Kim said...

We like to call this 'showing their sin nature.' It's amazing that we never have to teach them to do the wrong thing, isn't it?!

PS Today I found Gideon had pushed a chair from the dining room into the kitchen and was helping himself to a banana (he does not know how to peel them yet) all while I was changing Piper's diaper. He knows it's unacceptable, and yet he just can't help himself. I am praying for the Holy Spirit to take residence in his little body at an early age!